Sunday, October 11, 2009

How to sell popcorn at the supermarket

Dayton, Ohio -- The other day I wrote about door-to door fundraising. Yesterday, as I was walking out of the supermarket, there were three Cub Scouts selling cans of popcorn. One asked me, "Do you want to buy some popcorn?" I politely declined and kept walking.

The problem with his question was it wasn't personal enough. I turned down popcorn, not a person. What if he had asked, "Would you help me earn a merit badge" or "Would you help me get a new tent?" Then in saying "no," I would really be saying, "I won't help you." That's much more difficult to say then "I don't want popcorn."

Asking "Would you help me get a new tent" also opens the door for conversation. I might stop and ask, "How could I do that?" And he would respond, "a new tent cost $100. If you would purchase one can of popcorn or give $10, we'll only need nine more people."

While I might or might not give, at least he would have forced me to think about it.

What questions are you asking in your direct mail program and face-to-face meetings with donors? Are you asking your donors to "buy a can of popcorn" or are you making them think and asking questions that open doors for a more in-depth conversation?

No comments:

Post a Comment